Thread: What info does my tuner need?

Electronic Ignition!

What info does my tuner need?

So, I have everything I need to for my TBI upgrade for my Blueprint 355. Vortec fuel pump, FPR, 454 TBI w/80lb injectors. I'm about to take my truck to my mechanic for the install of these items. While he is working on it, he will remove the ECM and take it to Prevat tuning in Tulsa for a basic tune. Question is.....what information and specs about the engine would be helpful to the tuner for him to set up the best basic tune? I plan on taking it to him later for a dyno-tune to dial it in. Thanks.

Administrator
    I believe the best answer is to contact the tuning company and give them the same information that you put into your post. Aside from that, I'd inclode engine displacement, injector size, fuel pressure (if not stock), cam specs (hp and torque curve may be acceptable) compression ratio (if not stock). Info about headers, cold air intake, etc may also be helpful but that's something that can be taken into account during a dyno session.

What TBI computer are you using? The 1227747 is good. The 16197427 is better.

What Transmission are you using 700R4 / 4L60E / 4L80E / Manual? Automatic and Manual transmission have very different Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off (DFCO) Parameters.

Tuning is basically corrections to the factory fuel and spark tables. Let the tuner know EVERTHING you modified.

One possible challenge is the injector flow rate, often the advertised flow rate, actual flow rate, and flow rate parameter programmed in the chip are not aligned. . . apples / oranges / bananas

Timing table tuning is challenging, because camshaft profile, cylinder head combustion chamber design (like fast burn heads), pistons (like flat top vs. dish), compression ratio, intake manifold, and headers affect knock / detonation / engine performance.

Using an Air Fuel Ratio meter for tuning is a good plan, even better if the AFR's are recorded real time and align with the engine parameters (MAP Sensor vs. Engine RPM). For example, knowing the AFR's at a steady 60 MPH is good . . . but knowing the AFR's accelerating from 0 MPH to 60 MPH is better.
    Last edited by dave w; 11-04-2022 at 04:14 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    What TBI computer are you using? The 1227747 is good. The 16197427 is better.

What Transmission are you using 700R4 / 4L60E / 4L80E / Manual? Automatic and Manual transmission have very different Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off (DFCO) Parameters.

Tuning is basically corrections to the factory fuel and spark tables. Let the tuner know EVERTHING you modified.

One possible challenge is the injector flow rate, often the advertised flow rate, actual flow rate, and flow rate parameter programmed in the chip are not aligned. . . apples / oranges / bananas

Timing table tuning is challenging, because camshaft profile, cylinder head combustion chamber design (like fast burn heads), pistons (like flat top vs. dish), compression ratio, intake manifold, and headers affect knock / detonation / engine performance.

Using an Air Fuel Ratio meter for tuning is a good plan, even better if the AFR's are recorded real time and align with the engine parameters (MAP Sensor vs. Engine RPM). For example, knowing the AFR's at a steady 60 MPH is good . . . but knowing the AFR's accelerating from 0 MPH to 60 MPH is better.

I have a 4l60E transmission. I have all engine specs, bore, stroke, Cu in, head specs, combustion chamber, intake and exhaust runner size, valve sizes, all cam specs, timing info and compression ratio as well as the manufacturer dyno sheet. I do not know what ECM I have other than it's a stock '94 ECM.