Quote Originally Posted by nilak View Post
Hello,
I'm upgrading my 1991 Corvette to a 383SBC but the torque output is much higher than stock, especially with the stock manifold-long runners, 480Nm vs 650Nm. That would put stress on the transmission, diff and C beam, so I'm searching for ways to reduce max torque to about 500Nm. Power can still remain the same for the upper range.4500-5600. I will use stock manifold and large intake tubes AZS because I need the stock appearance so I need to do it by ECM tuning. One I know is by reducing the spark advance but this I understand would use the same amount of fuel and producing less torque/power. I thought of trying remapping the EGR to run at high throttle and mid rpm so that the amount of oxygen is reduced. Is this a bad idea?
Thank you.
EGR is a bad idea all the way around it will cause massive amounts of carbon buildup in the plenum, runners, etc as well as heat the plenum. Best to just cut torque by retarding timing like the OEMs do. Likely you only need to pull around where the TPI runners resonate the highest. Be careful though too much retard will create high exhaust gas temperatures. Another way to cut torque is to prevent power enrichment and run in stoich. Alot of GM and Dodge trucks run in that manner. They will stay in closed loop with less timing at 14.7:1 even at WOT.