Thanks kur4o - saved me a bunch of money there. I've done a little bit more searching over at cf and found where they used a tech 2 to dump a PCM and then a tech 1 on the CCM so was suspicious the functionality didn't exist in the newer tool. Looking at the 1, it seems like it needs a memory card for CCM / BCM programming. :-\

I'm looking for the aldl pin to try and dump them on the bench. Then will hook up the original one in car and see if it shows any DTCs. I wasn't seeing the SYS message, but maybe not all DTCs trigger that. I highly doubt that the remanned unit has the same fault as mine, but anything's possible. I'm pretty sure in some model years, leaving the key in the ignition would cause the CCM to never go to sleep.

I noticed a VIN (in two places) in the two dumps NomakeWan posted in the other thread so I'm hoping to find out if the eeprom in the remanned unit has been wiped. It would really suck if the eeprom is integrated with the processor though. I don't see anything that looks like a jtag type pad except for the 5 next to the 28 pin SOIC in the lower right corner. They're just vias to bring those traces to the other plane, but the spacing seems suspiciously uniform.

I wonder if diagnostic enable might be the "magic" pin.