Thread: Camshaft selection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Really appreciate all the information... I do have it tuned for the 454 injectors... Eagle Mark and others here helped me out with that. Runs as well as it can given the current setup.

If you were building a 400 small block for a suburban what would you do? I'm not opposed to changing heads, intake, cam, whatever.
    -Frank

1987 GMC Suburban K2500 400SBC, TH400 Trans, 3.73 Gears
    1995 GMC Suburban K2500 454BBC, 4L80E Trans, 3.73 Gears

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Really appreciate all the information... I do have it tuned for the 454 injectors... Eagle Mark and others here helped me out with that. Runs as well as it can given the current setup.

If you were building a 400 small block for a suburban what would you do? I'm not opposed to changing heads, intake, cam, whatever.
    Depending on the pistons in the engine, I would use one of the two cams I linked, swap over to some vortec heads, run a water heated performer rpm dual plane intake with a TBI to carb adapter. Concentrate on low-midrange torque as that is what will propel that 3 ton monster.

Not sure on the pistons, but it measures to 8.6:1 compression with 76cc heads, so they're not too special.

Don't remember what the heads are exactly, but I remember looking up the casting number and being rather disappointed. They were just some heads off a 350... And there was some failure they were prone to... Cracking or something.

it has a Holley spreadbore intake, but not really a performance one... It was an older one that was designed to be basically a stock replacement but in aluminum.
    Last edited by Xenon; 11-07-2013 at 03:47 AM.
    -Frank

1987 GMC Suburban K2500 400SBC, TH400 Trans, 3.73 Gears
    1995 GMC Suburban K2500 454BBC, 4L80E Trans, 3.73 Gears