Thread: E85 500 HP 383 under L31 truck intake

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    MS98000T seems much more reliable when used with new technology anti-freeze. Probably not able to be shaped to match ports, though.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    MS98000T seems much more reliable when used with new technology anti-freeze. Probably not able to be shaped to match ports, though.
    Mine came unlaminated in a few years and started leaking. Rubber separated from the steel.

Fuel Injected!
    Buttoned up the engine last night after swapping the cam, the reluctor ring, the rocker studs, and rocker arms. Fired it up this morning with an edelbrock carb on the dual plane marine intake and a HEI with a borrowed set of OBS truck long tubes. If the rain lets up in the morning, will be hot lashing the valves. Will try to get a video of the weather allows. Mechanical fuel pump to feed it fuel and water from a garden hose to cool it. No oil leaks. On a side note the Quicktrip 93 octane 10% Ethanol gas smells like race gas coming out of the header collectors. The HEI I have came off a S10 that was a race truck. Mechanical advance only, no vacuum advance. Set the timing at 4° BTDC with 26° total at 3,000. Very responsive even though the Edelbrock 1406 is jetted very lean and lacks the proper accelerator pump shot. Not that it matters because as soon as the engine goes back into its home it is getting EFI.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fast355; 09-02-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Little 218/228 @ 0.50, 110 LSA, 106 ICL cam that has .578 lift with 1.7 narrow body rockers, 3/8" studs and short poly locks this time around to fit under the stock valve covers. With the Rhoads lifters not even hot lashed yet and idling at 4* of timing with a carb that had not even been tweaked yet since it came off a 5.3L it was still pulling 16 in/hg of vacuum. I was going to keep the big 232/244 Lunati but decided to pull it and stick the cam I had ground for the old 350 back into it. It comes into its power at a lower rpm and keeps making power as high as the truck manifold will allow, probably the better match of the two cams I have.
    Last edited by Fast355; 09-02-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Here*is what it sounds like. Did not bother dialing in the carb or distributor. It will run even smoother with the heavy 4L80E torque converter and all the accessories on it with a full exhaust and EFI. Not sure why but the microphone on my phone picks up the rhoads lifters about 2x as loud as they are in person.

https://youtu.be/a0tlEO3daak

Carb and Points!
    Looks promising.
    Where does the higher flow spider come from?

That port matching and gasket matching is nice. I try to do this to all of my builds. It doesn't have to be perfect just close.
    One of things that a lot of people just bolt all together and wonder why it is low on power.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by nwticerider View Post
    Looks promising.
    Where does the higher flow spider come from?

That port matching and gasket matching is nice. I try to do this to all of my builds. It doesn't have to be perfect just close.
    One of things that a lot of people just bolt all together and wonder why it is low on power.
    AUS injection...Be warned they get $$$ but its the only true smog legal way.

Luckily I only have a year of smog left in theory. When that happens its getting the marine intake again. I have it paitently waiting with new 6.2 Ford Denso injectors in it. I have an EGR tube that is welded shut that I will fit between the header and the intake manifold for looks and run with it. I fabricated a plate that bolts to the waterneck to bolt the non functional EGR valve to that mounts it in almost exactly the stock location. Will turn it off in the tuning and leave the dummy valve plugged in. Hidden under the dash of the van the casual on looker never even notices it.
    Last edited by Fast355; 05-18-2021 at 04:35 AM.