Thread: DIY LTCC or similar system for LT1s

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I will not be rewriting it to change the indexes used for the dwell and compensation tables lookups. It makes absolutely zero sense to do so because in order to measure each unique coil's thermal and electrical characteristics via a sweep test outside a system being propelled by the combustion process, MAP and RPM are phenomenon that do not, cannot, and should not come into play. This is why I was so incredibly confused with why GM structured their tables this way. If there's a logical reason they chose to do this, it eludes my wildest imagination.

This is the reason why, after analyzing the modern tables you were so kind to spoon feed me, I chose to say F-it and spent days worth of lab time and considerable cash outlay gathering my own data that makes sense for a system where we want the coil selection to be the most easily modular component. It's not the absolute best data I could have gathered, but it's what I could afford on a beer budget. This is not a business and never will be. I'm conservatively $1200 in the hole with where this is at - possibly closer to $1800, and that's simply cash outlay that speaks nothing to the amount of damage I've sustained with coding, testing, speeding tickets and the resultant attorney fees, marital discord, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    How the hell the coils survived.

On the gm chart. at 800 rpm I am looking for 3.42 ms

Looking at the log at 20*C the commanded dwell is 1107*0.004= 4.42 ms
    and at 80*C we got almost double 1688*0.004=6.75 with some spikes on higher map upto 2013*0.004=8.052ms.

I think the coils might really get fried on that wot pull, at least the dwell limiter will have suffered, with 20ms crank cycle at 6000rpm it was like almost 50% off-50%on. Getting some off time might help cool them out and recover.
    No, they didn't (melt / get fried / stressed). Because as I've been telling you for year/}s{/, all these coils have integral dwell limiting features. This is why "the hell" they survived. Please stop crying wolf when you're seeing a mouse your brain doesn't recognize as a mouse. If you'd like, I'll go turn one on and dwell it 24x7 until it melts (if it ever does). I'll even do this in my basement so there's a great personal risk involved if it catches the house on fire.

You picked the very worst possible coil to test with. I would have to dig pretty deep back in time to find the test data but as I reiterated just a day or two ago, these coils have a strange dwell limiting system that becomes very difficult to identify on a scope below 12.5 volts, and the temperature skew was also ridiculously pronounced and nonlinear. As such, I was able to observe the least amount of usable data from this coil model compared to the others. But I did the best I could with what I had to work with.