Thread: Its Love at first sight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Tech View Post
    Hiya, cool project.
    The '165 puter(86-89) can work but was intended to use a MAF. I would personally start with the later (90-92) tpi '7730 puter which is speed density. You'll have to mod the harness you have a bit. You might read up on that, I think you will be happier and easier to do.
    I personally like the Australian $12P MAP code that runs in the 165 over the 7730 myself. It has been re-engineered to do alot of cool things. I have run a couple and never had a data issue.
    Last edited by Fast355; 02-21-2021 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I personally like the Australian $12P MAP code that runs in the 165 over the 7730 myself. It has been re-engineered to do alot of cool things. I have run a couple and never had a data issue.
    I was going to suggest this as well.

Back to the original topic...

From what I've seen S&P did some pretty hacky shit to get TPIs to run on as few sensors as possible, which would work, but would not be optimal.

I'd start with a GM Bin or $12P as suggested above, if the '165 is going to be kept, which will work just fine.

The hardest part about switching to a '7730, which is also a good choice, there's some good code that will run on the '7730, but the hardest thing about that switch is to find a proper V8 MEMCAL, not just a modified V6 one. The knock filter is part of the MEMCAL and is specific to different engines. The modified V6 MEMCALs do work, but the knock sensing will likely not be optimal.

Then there are aftermarket options as well.

Wait... Is that the MEMCAL they suggest you use? If so, there's no EPROM in that MEMCAL, meaning that the ECU is running in LHM (Limp Home Mode), that's even worse than I had ever heard about S&P...
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 02-21-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I was going to suggest this as well.

Back to the original topic...

From what I've seen S&P did some pretty hacky shit to get TPIs to run on as few sensors as possible, which would work, but would not be optimal.

I'd start with a GM Bin or $12P as suggested above, if the '165 is going to be kept, which will work just fine.

The hardest part about switching to a '7730, which is also a good choice, there's some good code that will run on the '7730, but the hardest thing about that switch is to find a proper V8 MEMCAL, not just a modified V6 one. The knock filter is part of the MEMCAL and is specific to different engines. The modified V6 MEMCALs do work, but the knock sensing will likely not be optimal.

Then there are aftermarket options as well.

Wait... Is that the MEMCAL they suggest you use? If so, there's no EPROM in that MEMCAL, meaning that the ECU is running in LHM (Limp Home Mode), that's even worse than I had ever heard about S&P...
    I like what he says. I think this will keep costs down we can run what we have

Electronic Ignition!
    I'm seeing several auctions on e-bay
    Where do you guys get the pins and plugs for the 165 ECM also whats the best extractor and crimp tools for it

Yes, add an IAC.

I would also add a VSS (I missed your earlier post asking about any additional sensors)

Yes, the 27SF512 will work in the '165, G1 is the adapter you need.

It may be easier to grab some connectors from the wreckers and use those as pig tails. The pins are available on their own, I just haven't sorted out which ones are correct... yet... I plan to get them in stock soon-ish. lol

To depin the connectors are pretty easy, the locks need to be removed (blue combs that are inserted from the wire end), then using a small tool, like a pin, or a stiff paper clip, etc, the hole below where each pin is inserted is where the lock is, just insert your tool, and push towards the lock, while gently pulling on the wire will extract the pin.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    To depin the connectors are pretty easy, the locks need to be removed (blue combs that are inserted from the wire end), then using a small tool, like a pin, or a stiff paper clip, etc, the hole below where each pin is inserted is where the lock is, just insert your tool, and push towards the lock, while gently pulling on the wire will extract the pin.
    An FYI
    https://www.dynamicefi.com/RePinHowTo.php

I'd like to find some "open barrel" pins too. I recently bought this crimping tool, it works pretty good.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's an example of some crimps using the tool (different connectors but you get the idea), it took some practice to get it down, LOL
    Pig Tails.jpg

Electronic Ignition!
    Bringing all this together
    Keep the 165
    Run the Aussie bin
    Keep the large cap HEI and ICM Since we have that
    Keep the harness adding ALDL , O2 ECT IAT sensors. Any more needed?
    From Moates is all I need is the APU1 ?
    Does the 27SF512 chips work with the 165 and what socket adapter(s) will i need?